Thursday, August 26, 2010

Answers. Maybe.

Yesterday morning I had a follow up appointment to chat with the doctor about the blood work they ran last week.


As soon as my doctor came into the room, she had a big smile on her face and said, "I think we can help you!"


Relief.

Everything she said after that was pure encouragement. She told me about steps towards my health and possible relief for the fertility issues I've been facing. She was positive and helpful. I'm so thankful for that.


It seems that my body is producing too much insulin. I'm not diabetic, but they'll put me on the same type of medication that diabetics often use. On top of that, I'll be on a pretty strict diet and exercise plan. The foundation of which is no simple sugars, very few carbs, lots of greens. I also need to be REALLY active at least 5 days a week. That's the hard part.

When you sit at a desk for 8+ hours a day, and try to leave time in the evenings for blogging and such, it leaves a quite small window for the rest of life, ya know? Considering I have about 20 minutes of being at home on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from now until Christmas... that means maybe exercising on the weekends? YUCK. But I have a real goal. An awesome goal. A baby goal. So maybe I'll be able to find the time.


The medication they want to put me on should help regulate my insulin production. But it's most likely going to make me sick for two or three weeks. After the initial introduction of that stuff into my body, I should be able to stomach it. UNLESS I eat something high in sugar. Then I'll probably get sick again. I suppose that's motivation to eat right. Plus, there are some healthy foods that I just cannot get enough of. That will help. Like this little guy. This is my good friend, Okra.



The doctor also offered to provide another prescription that would boost fertility and is a very common prescription for women trying to conceive. We opted for skipping that medication now while we just wait and see how the first plan works out. But when she was explaining it to us, she said, "Now, this medication does increase the likelihood of twins." Dave got a panicked look on his face. The doctor smiled and said, "twins can be a really great thing." Dave's response was, "Yeah. I suppose if you're getting them into acting..."


So basically, the appointment went really well. I was thankful to have Dave there with me, I was thankful that the doctor had concrete things to tell me. Answers. At least for this point in the game. I'm hopeful and encouraged. And that's never a bad place to be.

3 comments:

Christine Carver said...

Yay! Sounds good to me. I wouldn't complain about twins, either! :) I love that idea! :) I'm so glad they have good news for you.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I wonder if "I" diet and exercise if that will help in the pursuit of grandbabies any? I pray that you find the time you need and can enjoy the healthy food and exercise instead of looking at it as a task. I'm thankful that you have such a positive doctor!

Love,

MOM

The Hagens said...

GREAT news - so happy for you. Will be praying that you don't have any negative reactions to the new meds and that the diet and exercise doesn't become a millstone. Just stay focused on the goal! :)

One idea to combine exercise WITH blogging - i sometimes blog while i am using my stepper - just set it up in front of my dresser. Or i have a friend who does it while using her treadmill - built a little stand for the comp. Not as fun as with your feet kicked back, lying on the couch, but is better than not having anything to occupy your time while you work out. I actually read or do Sudoko while i ride the stationary bike too. Still not much fun, but it does help!