Friday, December 5, 2008

Art*Music*Justice - Africa and Beyond

Sometimes things change in your life that you never expect to change. For example, I recently developed a love for mushrooms. Up until about a year ago, I couldn’t stand mushrooms. Now I want them in every meal. That’s not something I expected to change about myself. More important than my newfound love for mushrooms is the unexpected change in my “missions mindedness”, though. Much more important!


I’ve got plenty of relatives and close friends who are involved in full time missions and I support them 100% in their passion for that. But I have always been slightly afraid of missions work for myself. I have done plenty of state side mission trips in youth groups and things, but as an adult, the idea of missions scared me. I couldn’t comprehend being so far out my comfort zone and my abilities. This fall, I had the opportunity to attend an Art*Music* Justice Concert http://www.myspace.com/artmusicjustice and was really impacted by the evening. If you haven’t heard of the Art*Music*Justice tour, I would urge you to check out the link and see what they’re all about. In this one evening, my heart towards missions grew so much. I wanted to go. I would have left that night and headed to wherever God wanted me to go. Although the opportunity to leave right then did not present itself, we did end up with a sponsored child named Bokayo (pictured below). She is a five year old from Kenya, Africa. That was the next step.


Now, we’re considering taking a ten day trip to Zimbabwe, which is south of Kenya, to work in an orphanage for children who have lost their parents to AIDS. What a change in me from just a few months ago. I have a desire to be changed and to see the world the way God sees the world, and I’m hoping that this opportunity to work in Africa will bring that change. I'll keep the blog updated as to how the plans unfold. Pray with me that I might see sweet little faces, like Bokayo's in July through the eyes of Christ.

Bokayo Dida Ejersa

No comments: