Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Red Lentil Curry Soup

I made soup last night at 10:30. I tasted a little bite to make sure it didn't need anything else, and it was so good that I ate a small bowl right before bed.

I'm having the leftovers for lunch, and it's so amazing that I wanted to share it as quickly as I could. Thus, the super quick blog post for the super quick soup.


Super Quick and Easy Red Lentil Curry Soup

2 cayenne peppers, sliced thin

2 cloves of garlic, minced

Sautee in a little olive oil until you can start to really smell the garlic, then stir into:

1 package of red lentils (green will work if you can't find red)

*I soaked mine in salt water for a few hours, because the last time I tried to make lentil soup, they absorbed EVERY BIT of liquid and I just had lentils without the soup. It worked, but it wasn't soup.

about a tsp of turmeric

about a tbsp of cilantro

about a tbsp of red curry powder (I love curry!)
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Cover that with water and/or chicken broth until the lentil to liquid ratio is where you like it. Simmer on medium heat until the lentils are softish. Their color will fade as they cook, so don't be alarmed if your red lentils end up a kind of yellowy-beigeish.

If you're adding a lot of liquid - you might need more spice. I don't know, soup is a very personal thing. Go with your heart.


And that's it folks! That's the whole recipe! And... lunch break over - back to work.

No comments: