Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Overfull on Time

I was listening to the new Ray LaMontagne album yesterday morning. There's a line in one of the songs that says something normal, but smooth... you know, the way Ray does. And I kind of misheard it and knew that I hadn't heard it correctly, but I liked what I thought it said anyway.

What I heard was, "hungry for life and overfull on time." And I thought wow, that's an awesome line. And I thought that's so me. I sat down at my desk and looked up the lyrics, and I was way off, but I still love what I thought I heard.

The past couple of weeks at work have been.... difficult? Maybe that's a good PC word for it. I have been very much hungry for life but overfull on time. I've been mopey and that's not a good place to be.

Yesterday I got a phone call from someone who calls us to chat several times a week. Normally I go along with it, and think really mean things like, "you know... this is my job. I have things to do apart from talking on the phone all day." Yesterday I thought I was getting one of those calls. He started to small talk for a few minutes, I was in a foul mood, and I just listened halfheartedly until he said, "Steph, I have something I'd like to share with you. I had a spot removed earlier this week and they think it might be cancer. I'm supposed to hear back today or tomorrow; I wanted to let you know so you and the rest of the office can be praying for me."

That made me pay attention. So, I told one of the ladies in the office that talks with him often so we could both pray for him. About five minutes later, he called again and said, "Well, Steph... I have some good news for you. I just got the call from my nurse, and it's not cancer!" We talked again for a few minutes, and he began to cry while saying how great God is and how full of mercy and grace He is, how thankful he was for Christ's love and compassion in his life. And the whole time my friend was talking and crying, I was crying right along with him.

I'd been so selfish and concerned with the junk in my life... so hungry for different life, that I hadn't stopped to look outward and see that I have time. Sometimes God uses someone else's issues to bring me to my knees. I forget that too much.

1 comment:

Brian Herzog said...

That's hard to hang on to sometimes, but always true!
Love you, Steph!
Dad