Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzards

While it's currently blizzarding in my home town of Camdenton, Missouri, it's 54 degrees here in Nashville. They're calling for up to 20 inches back home. I'm sure the ice and snow will cause some power outtages, I'm sure that driving anywhere will be impossible for a while, and I'm sure that Wal-Mart was a mess yesterday as people prepared to be stuck at home for a week. But do you know what? I whole-heartedly wish I was there. There's something perfect about a day stuck at home.
Some of my best memories are during snow days. (Or snow weeks, as we had living on the farm.) One week when I was in the 5th or 6th grade probably, we were snowed in. I remember very little about that week other than the fact that I found some drifts that let me fall into the snow up to my thighs, and that we played about 7000 rounds of Rummy. I don't remember any sibling fighting or any "being totally bored." All I remember is being home together and it being awesome.

Fast forward several years to when Dave and I were dating. I would have been a junior in high school. He had been over watching movies with my brother, Steve, and I when the snow storm hit and was trapped at our house overnight. Dave and I decided to skate up to the gas station at the top of the hill to get some much needed Mountain Dew and sunflower seeds, I'm sure. But that walk up to the top of the hill at 11:00 at night in the fresh snow and ice... it was magical. We slid up and down the street while the snow was still falling. It's still one of my very favorite memories with Dave.

Why is snow so awesome? And why is it not snowing in Nashville? And why am I not home with my family playing Rummy?

No comments: