Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas 2010

Though the house is still decorated and there are still empty packages strewn about the living room, Christmas is moving on. With my family in Nashville this year, things were a bit different than they've always been, but we held tight to some traditions. We all had a total blast, as far as I could tell. Don't tell me if you didn't have fun, family; I don't want to know.
First on the traditions list was Chuck E. Cheese. Growing up, we used to spend a day playing arcade games and eating pizza right around Christmas. This is one tradition Dave is more than happy to have married in to. I hope it's not creepy for seven adults to go to Chuck E. Cheese for the day, because if skee-ball is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Another tradition we hold tight to is Christmas Eve gifts. The siblings open the gifts from each other, and our parents open our gifts to them. Dave's family was in Texas this year, celebrating with his sister and her family, but we opened our gifts from them on Christmas Eve also - it's the Hagen tradition. We did NOT make oyster stew on Christmas Eve, which is another Hagen tradition. I just couldn't do it. (Special appearance by the giant bean bag I'm always talking about! See how spread out my parents are? They're both sitting on it. It's that awesome.)
IF you have not seen "Marcel the Shell" PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch it here. It's a strange and quirky little video of a talking shell. Watch it twice in a row; you'll like it more the second time. This picture is me introducing the video to my sisters. They're fans. You're welcome.
The Nashville buzz all around Christmas was the fact that we were supposed to have snow. There hasn't been a white Christmas in Nashville in almost 20 years. Herzogs must be good luck. Because we woke up to this.
And do you know what else we woke up to? Serious loot. I know Christmas isn't about the gifts, but holy smokes, I hit the jackpot this year! Some of my favorites were a nut grinder, a burlap and braided leather bag from my mama, and this KitchenAid mixer from Dave. Of course we had to put the nut grinder and mixer to use right away and make a fresh batch of homemade cookies.

I'm already looking forward to Christmas next year.

No comments: