Friday, January 28, 2011

TwentyTwo

Yesterday I was chatting with my extremely talented friend Lillian who has taken all my headshots (like I'm sooo glamorous) and I mentioned to her that I probably need new pictures since my face is so much slimmer now. That's kind of an excellent problem to have, right? So that got me thinking that I should try to weigh myself.

I have been working really hard on being healthy. You know this if you regularly read this blog, or follow me on twitter, or are facebook friends with me... or real life friends also, I suppose. I've cut out some of my favorite things to eat and drink (Dr. Pepper), I've starting eating things that were never on my radar before this year (quinoa and kale), and it's been a struggle on and off. There were a few days tucked in there in which I hated the whole process.

But here's the thing. Last night I weighed myself for the first time in months. TWENTY TWO POUNDS, I have lost. You guys! TWENTY TWO! Can you even believe that?

It was such a fun surprise to see that I'd lost that much weight, because honestly losing weight wasn't my goal. Of course I would have welcomed that side effect, but being healthy was what I was after. I wanted to be in control of what I was eating and not letting that junk control me. I wanted to be able to see an ice cold fountain Dr. Pepper in front of me, and choose water instead. I wanted control of my own life. I didn't want my own irrational eating patterns to tell my body to stop functioning properly. I was sick of being dictated by my food choices.

If you have never had an issue with overeating, emotional eating, weight and self-image, etc.... that whole former paragraph probably seems like an exaggeration. But I really do mean all of that. It was out of control. Absolutely out of control. I work with a health coach who has been great. Just the right amount of encouragement and push. This is going to sound like a PSA, I'm warning you, but if you feel like you're not in control of your food like you think you should be, I really recommend Eleanor Haddad. She has helped me change the way I feel about food, the way I understand food, and the way I feel and understand myself. That's a big deal, no? Also, TWENTY TWO POUNDS. Gone.

No comments: