Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Infamous "craft room"

Once or twice, I have mentioned my craft room, my art room, or when I'm feeling fancy... my art studio. It is usually just a room where I can pile all my tiny scraps of paper, get paint on the furniture, and hang up whatever decorations I want without the husband getting annoyed. Me and my tiny bits of paper are like him and his cords. Millions of cords. All sizes and lengths. All different purposes. All over the house.

On a seemingly unrelated note - I've been sick for 5 days. A flu, perhaps, nothing of the swine variety, but annoying nonetheless. Because I've been sick for what seems like months and have hardly left the house (with the exception of a double feature at the drive-in, and a trip to buy some new fall clothes - half off all clearance, folks. Even sickness can't keep me away from deals like that) here comes the relation to the craft room... I was inspired to organize. I moved furniture, which I don't recommend doing if you've been asleep for 14 hours earlier that day, hung artwork and inspiring things, and finished up TWO projects that really didn't need to be finished.

It felt good. It feels good. I've been sitting in here as much as possible, when I'm not sleeping or moping in front of Dave so he'll feel sorry for me. The prettiest tree in the neighborhood just happens to be outside the window of my art studio, yes, it feels fancy today, and the yellow and orange leaves are creating some serious fall motivation. I feel very much like I'm a bear going into hibernation. Getting my cave ready for the long haul. Also packing on a few pounds, but that's not really a good thing, it's just a can't-stop-making-hearty-soups-and-chili thing.

Because I've finally cleaned things up in here, I decided to take some pictures for the world to see. Documentation that I can, in fact, be an organized artist.
These little suitcases are just the cutest, right? I wish I knew what brand they were. They house embroidery floss, buttons, and ribbon scraps. Yes, I have a container for ribbon scraps.

This bulletin board is a work in progress. The funky pattern in the bottom left is a tile from my grandma's old bathroom. I want to frame it someday. The map (which I bought thinking it was about 4 feet wide, long story) has little push-pins in the places to which I've sold artwork. And pictures of my sisters - wonderful artsy girls.

I finally found a place to hang these paintings, which I've been wanting to hang since I made them. Here's the description of these pieces.

This is the beautiful tree out my window. Not really anything to do with my organizational skills. But, pretty.

A DIY project I'm pretty proud of. Mixed nuts tins wrapped in pretty papers and ribbons. See, Dave... I do have a use for ribbon scraps.

This easel is amazing! My dad hand made this for my wedding gift. It's huge and awesome. Be jealous that your dad isn't as cool as mine.

This wall is a work in progress also. The painting on the left is a copy of the first painting I sold. The swirly, colorful thing in the center is a ribbon holder. My good friend, Lillian is going to post a how-to of one of these on her blog soon, so I'll let you know when that happens. And the painting on the right is one I did in high school. It's a painting of Dave from when we took a trip to Seattle for my brother's graduation. It's one of the first paintings I did... and it's really more sentimental than impressive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thought this was going to become the "Grannie Herzog" room...but for now you can borrow it...and it's beautiful! Had to laugh about the cords...because once again you are showing how much like your Dad that Dave is....at this point, we have almost an entire floor of our house dedicated to cords and important gear that we MIGHT someday need. Sorry you have been sick, but glad that you had some much needed time playing with your crafts.

Love you,

MOM