Wednesday, April 29, 2009

You Can't Spell Heart without Art - part II

For the second installment of the current "series" of blog posts, I'd love to explain the inspiration behind the first painted window I did - titled "hope". Here's a picture of the piece.

One of my favorite singer/songwriters (a genre I have much love for) is Sara Groves. I have posted about her too many times...but one of my favorite songs of hers is about hope. Last year, I went through a really rough few months struggling with depression and hopelessness. I heard this song for the first time as I was coming away from that season. I was inspired by her lyrics and the song itself.

Although I am not a musician, I have always had a passion for music. Emotions for me are really intertwined with music, so after hearing this song, I decided to literally have a hope window. Looking at it always reminds me of the song and how "hope has a way of turning its face to you, just when you least expect it."

Here are the lyrics to the song, and I urge you to check out the link, which also has the lyrics, but will let you listen to a piece of the song.

http://www.saragroves.com/store/tellmewhatyouknow/lyrics/itmightbehope/

You do your work the best that you can
you put one foot in front of the other
life comes in waves and makes its demands
you hold on as well as you're able

You've been here for a long long time
Hope has a way of turning its face to you
just when you least expect it
you walk in a room you look out a window
and something there leaves you breathless
you say to yourself it's been a while since I felt this
but it feels like it might be hope

It's hard to recall what blew out the flame
it's been dark since you can remember
you talk it all through to find it a name
as days go on by without number

You've been here for a long long time
Hope has a way of turning its face to you
just when you least expect it
you walk in a room you look out a window
and something there leaves you breathless
you say to yourself it's been a while since I felt this
but it feels like it might be hope

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad told me to read your "can't spell art without heart" blog - I think he was a little confused but I cleared him up and explained it all to him!! This was beautiful and such an amazing look into the heart of an amazing young woman. I am so proud of you with your art accomplishments, but mostly I'm proud of the wonderful person you have become and continue to become.

Love,

MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey-if your mother is proud of you, think how much more your mother-in-law is proud of you! You chose to join our family and I love the idea of having such a sensitive and positive woman by my son's side! Keep up the art and keep using your heart!

Love,
MOM Hagen