Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Good Food, Good Friends

I am, by design, a social person. I could go months with no alone time and love it. Growing up in a family of 6, you learn to enjoy the quiet togetherness without needing quietness alone. Though I am learning- sometimes slower than I like- that it is important and rewarding to spend some quiet time thinking and processing, I still love to be surrounded by friends and family. The past few days have been a wonderfully social couple of days. I've gotten to spend quality time with my closest friends down in Nashville, and the rest of the week is just as cozy! Six of us are headed to Gatlinburg, TN (which is a tourist spot in the Smokies, for those of you not familiar with it) for the weekend; I could not be more excited. I will try to take some great pictures while we are there and document the fun for everyone when I return.

The planning for the little trip has got me thinking a lot about the importance of close friends. Before coming to Tennessee, my family were the closest friends I had. They are still the best friends I will ever have and my life would not be complete without them. Moving eight hours away can sometimes change the dynamics of a relationship, though. After a few months of getting settled into our new home, we made some great friendships that I believe will last forever. I never had a clue how important it was to have close friends until I had some that I wasn't related to. There's something very comforting about being chosen as a close friend.

If you don't have one or two people to whom you are not related to that you can be completely genuine and fun with, you've got to try it. Go out on a limb and let someone feel that special, chosen feeling, and you will get that in return. I have noticed that the older people get, the more they trick themselves into believing they are too busy for close friendships. Surface aquaintences are not enough; I am living on the greener side, and I've got to say - it's a pretty sweet place to be.

No comments: