Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Poems and Flipping Out

Here's something you probably didn't know about me. I write poetry. Well... write is a loose term. I used to write poetry a lot (creative writing major, you know) and every now and again I get the itch to write some more. The great thing about poetry is that it's personal, but that's also the bad thing about it.

When I was a Junior in college, I was asked to be a part of a poetry reading that the English Department was putting on that year. Only 3 people were asked, so I was of course, giddy and honored. Also, I wanted to scream and cry with fear. Public speaking is the furthest thing in the world from my comfort zone. Like... past root canals and having no money and breaking my ankle. Way past those. I mean, I can't even tell a long story to several friends at once without becoming shivery and nervous. Seriously that happens to me. But I agreed to the reading (after much MUCH shaking and stomach twistiness,) and I'm so glad I did. I was really proud of myself after that, and still am proud of that whole thing. Proud that I was asked out of so many students, proud that I did it through the fear, and proud that I didn't pass out at the front of the room.

Sunday I went to a reunion meeting for the Haiti team. While we were there, I was asked to read a "journal page" of sorts in front of our church in a few weeks about the trip to Haiti. So, of course, I said, "no way! thank you." But after a tiny bit of thinking I remembered the poetry reading and how cool that ended up being despite the paralizing fear. So I agreed to think about it. Mind you, there are approximately 3,000 members at my church. YEAH! I KNOW! So, I go back and forth and back and forth and back and back and back and forth. Which leaves me about 2 steps back right now. I'm still thinking about it. And still getting nervous about the idea.

So, to break me a tiny bit out of my closed up box of fear, I am posting a poem at the end of this. It's very short, and it's one of the "flash poems" I've been doing lately. Basically flash poetry (as I've decided to name it) is when I open up a blank document on the computer, write, save, close. I come back to it later and try not to edit anything at all. If something's really glaringly bad, I might, but normally I leave it. Here ya go:

Of Light and Truth and Hope

I have learned a little bit
about lofty things and reality
as opposite as they are
and what I have learned is that
there are only a few things to count
on and a few things to wish for
and they are always the same things.

1 comment:

kelli said...

I used to write. In fact, for a long, long time I thought I would be a writer for my career. So I speak with a bit of authority (and only a bit - but still) when I say I really, REALLY like that little poem.

I'm sure glad I met you.